Monday, June 4, 2012

Neil Patrick Harris and Oprah

One of the few shows I remember watching growing up was Doogie Howser.  I have always loved Neil Patrick Harris, NPH.  I don't have a reason why other than he is funny and seems to be more "real" than many other Hollywood celebrities.  I absolutely love How I Met Your Mother and Barney is that much more funny because of the fact that NPH is gay and Barney is so not.

I remember reading about his twins in one of the million People magazines that I read during doctor's appointments while I was pregnant.  I had kind of forgotten since then but I was excited when I saw that they would be on Oprah.  I watched the interview while I slowly folded and put away my winter sweaters.  There seemed to be a few things that really resonated with me.

First this...

The first was when NPH was talking about the first 6 -9 months of his twin's life.  It was like he was in our house and describing my husband.  My husband struggled and still does with the crying.  He doesn't know what to do, it makes him uncomfortable and in turn it just makes it worse.  He too, was is waiting for those days when he can take them out and just play together.

Then this...

Although they are describing what same-sex couples go through to have a child, it is not too much different from what those of us with infertility go through.  Our children were prayed for, hoped for, and so wanted that we went through a lot in order to have them too.  The social implications later in life won't be there but they should still know how much we wanted them and what we did in order to have them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment